- abbr. Young Women's Christian Association.
* * *Young Women's Christian Association.Also, Y.W.C.A.
* * *abbrevYoung Women's Christian Association
* * *Y.W.C.A. or YWCA (no periods),Young Women's Christian Association (an organization for young women, originated in England in 1855 simultaneously in two different bodies, united in 1877).
* * *n. a welfare movement with branches in many countries that began in Britain in 1855■ a hostel or recreational facility run by this associationOrigin:abbreviation of Young Women's Christian Association
* * */ˌwaıˌdʌbəljuˌsiːˈeı/ nounthe YWCA: an international organization that provides social programs, a place for athletic activities, etc., for the people and especially the women in a community
She's a member of the YWCA.
The meeting will be held at the YWCA. [=at the building owned and operated by the YWCA]— often used before another noun
a YWCA membership; called also (US, informal) the Y◇ YWCA is an abbreviation of “Young Women's Christian Association.”
* * *Young Women's Christian Association (an organization that exists in many countries and provides accommodation and social and sports activities)
members of the YWCASee also: ↑YCulture:The YWCA is similar to but separate from the ↑YMCA. Its main role used to be providing safe and cheap accommodation for young women living away from home, but in Britain and the US this has now mostly been replaced by a service giving support and advice to girls and young women who are experiencing problems. It was established in Britain in 1855 and now operates in many countries around the world.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
YWCA — 〈[waıdʌblju:si:ɛı] Abk. für engl.〉 Young Women s Christian Association (Christlicher Verein Junger Mädchen) [engl.] * * * YWCA [ waɪdʌblju:si: eɪ ], die, auch: der; [Abk. für engl.: Young Women s Christian Association]: Christlicher Verein Junger … Universal-Lexikon
YWCA — Young Women s Christian Association Short Dictionary of (mostly American) Legal Terms and Abbreviations … Law dictionary
YWCA — 〈 [waıdʌblju:si:ɛı] Abk. für engl.〉 Young Women s Christian Association (Christlicher Verein junger Frauen) [Etym.: engl.] … Lexikalische Deutsches Wörterbuch
YWCA — Young Women s Christian Association an organization in many countries that provides places to stay and sports activities for young people … Dictionary of contemporary English
YWCA — (Young Women s Christian Association) women s organization similar to the YMCA … English contemporary dictionary
YWCA — [vai̮dabl̩ju:si: e: ], die, auch der; = Young Women s Christian Association (Christlicher Verein Junger Mädchen) … Die deutsche Rechtschreibung
YWCA — ► ABBREVIATION ▪ Young Women s Christian Association … English terms dictionary
YWCA — abbrev. Young Women s Christian Association … English World dictionary
YWCA — Die Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA; deutsch: Christlicher Verein Junger Frauen) ist eine weltweite Bewegung. Der World YWCA (Weltbund der Christlichen Vereine Junger Frauen) besteht aus 122 angeschlossenen Nationalverbänden und hat… … Deutsch Wikipedia
YWCA — [[t]wa͟ɪ dʌb(ə)ljuː siː e͟ɪ[/t]] YWCAs N COUNT: usu the N in sing The YWCA is a place where women can stay cheaply, which is run by the YWCA organization. YWCA is an abbreviation for Young Women s Christian Association … English dictionary